Pages

Sunday 4 October 2009

New PJ Harvey, New PJ Harvey!!!


I'm probably a bit late on this one, well three months late to be exact I'll better I promise, but 'recently' my favourite English rose PJ Harvey debuted two new songs. If your as big a Harvey fan as me you'll be pretty excited by this. Her new songs are called 'The Last Living Rose' and 'Let Engalnd Shake'. She first included the songs as part of her set at the Dorset festival Bestival.




'The Last Living Rose' a first glance sounds like a tribute to the best and worst parts of English life. "For all that's European take me back to beautiful England" sings Polly. Of course our Polly is quite intelligent to say the least so I would take my interpretation as the only meaning. It reminds me a lot of the Is This Desire era sound. It is possible that PJ may be going back to that sound again for her next album as she a lot more songs from that era, 'Nina in Ecstacy' and 'Angelene' to name a few.





'Let England Shake' is a completely different sound for Harvey. It features, and don't quote me on this, the first sampling track Harvey has done. Harvey samples an unknown blues records and plays the vocals of a deep baritone voice repeating "Take me back to Constantinople, no you can't go back to Constantinople" in the background. Harvey adds her ususal beautifully bleak laments over the track, "I fear our blood will rise again."

Can't wait till the new album comes out, can you?

No comments:

Post a Comment